• Welcome to the most helpful Affiliate Marketing Forum. Join us! CLICK HERE for our membership options.
  • POWER HOUR: 🚀💰 Master MULTI-CHANNEL Magic to Earn RECURRING Monthly Income! 💸🔥" Join Us! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
  • 📊 Latest Follow Along - $10,000 a Month Website Case Study 💡 Join the Discussion

Why are advertorials controversial?

optimizepress

joeybabbs

Affiliate Marketing Coach
Staff member
Reaction score
Advertorials are such a double-sided coin & questions always arise from how exactly marketers should use them!

It is no secret consumers responds well when advertisements appear to be endorsed or appear on large editorial giants like fox, MSNBC etc.

Is the use of advertorials to sell products ethical?
What do you think?

Are there ways we can ensure that we are not deceiving the consumer?
The fact is FTC rules are mainly around disclosure. But they don't give a very clear annswer as to what constitutes proper disclosure. Is the word advertisement at the top the screen enough to be defined as proper disclosure!? In most cases no. What do you think?

S

sigma6

I think if they provide useful information, and create a compelling or entertaining user experience, with option to click away it's ok, and as long as the word advertisement is clearly at the top, I think customers are pretty much aware (or numb) to the fact. I will still on occasion read an info-ad, just to see what I can learn about the product... (and the advertising technique ;0)

combasa

Reaction score
It's very easy to get Advertorials approved by the traffic source. I believe the FTC has been watching them very closely, but they also have rules. As long as you provide proper disclosure its all good.

Honestly its been happeneing since the beginning of Magazine print. When you buy a magazine these days half of the pages are advertisements and advertorials...it seems the internet is not different but people are getting more and more clever as to what is an advertisement and what is not.

Newest Resources

Sponsors

semrush