• Welcome to the most helpful Affiliate Marketing Forum. Join us! CLICK HERE for our membership options.
  • POWER HOUR: 🚀💰 Master MULTI-CHANNEL Magic to Earn RECURRING Monthly Income! 💸🔥" Join Us! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
  • 📊 Latest Follow Along - $10,000 a Month Website Case Study 💡 Join the Discussion

Optimising The Search Term Report Correctly?

optimizepress

epocks

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and celebrated on new years. Here is to a big 2024 🤑

I have a question in regards to optimising the search term report and how I am excluding good search terms by accident when using filters.

Let's say we use a filter to find all search terms with zero conversion ( leads ), that is easy enough to do and Google will populate a bunch I can then select all and exclude. However when you look back over data I am finding good search terms have been excluded because, even though a search term showed up in the filter for zero conversions, that doesn't mean that same search term didn't generate leads for another keyword.

Perfect example using the screenshot below. The same search term has fired for 3 different keywords and produced different results.
- The top search term actually produced revenue ( All conversion value )
- The second search term only produced leads ( Conversions )
- The bottom search term produced nothing

So in this case if I were to filter search terms by having zero conversions ( leads ) this search term "rental properties near me" would come up when in fact it is a decent keyword I would keep running for now.
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 12.40.51 pm.png

How do you do go through your search term reports? The only way I have found to work is going line by line and searching the search term in another tab ( like I have i the screenshot ) to get the overall results from the entire search term and then make a decision from there. The massive problem with this is the endless search terms that populate in the report, this takes some time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks Epocks

joeybabbs

Affiliate Marketing Coach
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have also dealt with this; basically, I have not added them to my negatives if they have converted. At that point, I optimized at the search keyword level and saw if one of the words triggering it was not performing and stopped it there. I also added that search term to my bid on KWs.

epocks

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have also dealt with this; basically, I have not added them to my negatives if they have converted. At that point, I optimized at the search keyword level and saw if one of the words triggering it was not performing and stopped it there. I also added that search term to my bid on KWs.
I have two question to your answer:
1. So are you saying if you found a search term like this, you would then look at the keyword level, where you are bidding on keywords and using the same example the keyword [places for rent near me] wasn't performing well you would turn that keyword off and then add the search term "rental properties near me" as a keyword you now bid on?

2. Do you have a process to work through the search term report because as I mentioned above, the only way I find search terms like this is if I go line by line and search the actual search term to get the overall data to make a better decision. Even before you scale a campaign the search term report has tones of data and this takes a bunch of time to work through.

joeybabbs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two question to your answer:
1. So are you saying if you found a search term like this, you would then look at the keyword level, where you are bidding on keywords and using the same example the keyword [places for rent near me] wasn't performing well you would turn that keyword off and then add the search term "rental properties near me" as a keyword you now bid on?

2. Do you have a process to work through the search term report because as I mentioned above, the only way I find search terms like this is if I go line by line and search the actual search term to get the overall data to make a better decision. Even before you scale a campaign the search term report has tones of data and this takes a bunch of time to work through.
1. Yes.
2. It is a fairly manual process for me too and very time-consuming. It comes down to analyzing a lot of moving parts. I am actually in the process of trying to find a way AI could do this for me with the right formula.

epocks

Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Yes.
2. It is a fairly manual process for me too and very time-consuming. It comes down to analyzing a lot of moving parts. I am actually in the process of trying to find a way AI could do this for me with the right formula.
Thanks for clearing that up for me @joey and please do let me know if you find a way AI can help with search term optimising

epocks

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey @joey just revisiting your response here, when you say " I have not added them to my negatives if they have converted" are you saying you never add a search term that has converted in the negative keyword list?

joeybabbs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey @joey just revisiting your response here, when you say " I have not added them to my negatives if they have converted" are you saying you never add a search term that has converted in the negative keyword list?
I would add to negatives if it converted yes but only if it's losing a lot of money. It is rare now - I find the AI is doing better with bidding and not delivering on things that dont get me to target CPA. .

epocks

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would add to negatives if it converted yes but only if it's losing a lot of money. It is rare now - I find the AI is doing better with bidding and not delivering on things that dont get me to target CPA. .
Thanks for clearing that up

epocks

Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Yes.
With trying to find a solution for the above issue have you looked into downloading the search term as a excel sheet and then using some sort of formula to combine the exact search terms together so you have a total? I'm thinking this could be the go and going to see if I can find an excel wizard to figure this out but wondering if you have already gone down this path?

joeybabbs

Staff member
Reaction score
With trying to find a solution for the above issue have you looked into downloading the search term as a excel sheet and then using some sort of formula to combine the exact search terms together so you have a total? I'm thinking this could be the go and going to see if I can find an excel wizard to figure this out but wondering if you have already gone down this path?
Yes exactly I do use excel. But i am not a wizard.

Newest Resources

Sponsors

semrush