• Welcome to the most helpful Affiliate Marketing Forum. Join us! CLICK HERE for our membership options.
  • POWER HOUR: 🚀💰 Master MULTI-CHANNEL Magic to Earn RECURRING Monthly Income! 💸🔥" Join Us! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
  • 📊 Latest Follow Along - $10,000 a Month Website Case Study 💡 Join the Discussion

Is retargetting across facebook correct ?

optimizepress

silvermoon

Expired Membership
Reaction score
most users on facebook are from mobile app.
if you click an ad, it opens in facebook apps internal browser.
so the cookie stored in facebook app's browser is different from Google Chrome browser (on most android phones).

if i am driving traffic from Bing Ads, and i want to later retarget them on Facebook ... is it possible ?
because different browsers will store separate cookies.

or the traffic from facebook ads, is it possible to retarget them later on google display ads ?

clearmachine

Moderator & Team Member
Reaction score
I know you can retarget from a google user to Facebook (retargeting) but I don't know about the other way around.

silvermoon

Expired Membership
Reaction score
clearmachine

if you retarget a google traffic user on facebook, it kind of works but partially ...
if google traffic generated about 100 users, facebook pixel will be able to track smaller percentage of it, like around 30%-50%.

my best guess is that facebook tries to track based on ip and hardware signatures.
i sometimes see ads inside facebook app, whose website i had visited from google chrome earlier.

i think, i shall try it.

clearmachine

Moderator & Team Member
Reaction score
I have done Facebook retargeting to Facebook users. It didn't work as well as I wanted but there may have been other issues. It was a couple years ago.

I tried a headline like "Life get in the way?" "Finish your sign-up now" for the retargeting ad. I was using 50percent video views if I remember correctly. It worked but not very well.

joeybabbs

Affiliate Marketing Coach
Staff member
Reaction score
Stolen from another person but here what they said>

"The Facebook pixel tracks all the traffic. What it does, though, is that it’s able to match a visitor to that page to a Facebook user ID. How it does this, well one way to see it is that every combination of computer and browser and user has a signature. If a user with a given browser and a given computer ever visits Facebook, then that signature is associated with that user’s unique Facebook ID. So, a given Facebook ID can have many such combinations associated to it. i.e. work computer + chrome, work computer + IE, home computer + firefox, phone + safari, etc.

When a web page that has a Facebook pixel installed is visited by a user, Facebook is able to record that at a given time, a user with a certain signature visited the page. Just like google analytics does. Chances are that Facebook can match that signature with a Facebook ID.

What this means is that the user doesn’t have to come directly from Facebook to be counted. They can come months, years after their last visit to Facebook, and still be identified by the pixel.

Now if we consider conversion, Facebook is capable of comparing people who have seen a specific ad and people who see the pixel (which means that they have performed a certain action on the site). This is especially important if these people don’t come directly from Facebook (i.e. clicking on the ad, buying the thing or whatever). One of Facebook ads major claim is that ads remain effective long after they’re seen. So if a user sees a Facebook ad, then a week later performs an action, that action could be attributed to the ad (or, should be according to Facebook :) )

The Facebook pixel is more effective at tracking conversions than cookies, because cookies are bound to a browser. They can’t track a user across browsers or devices. And longer conversions are more likely to be cross-device."

Newest Resources

Sponsors

semrush