• Welcome to the most helpful Affiliate Marketing Forum. Join us! CLICK HERE for our free membership. You can upgrade to premium anytime to access more Premium training, case studies, & marketing resources.
  • 📊 Latest Follow Along - $10,000 a Month Website Case Study 💡 Join the Discussion

How to Make Money with Bing Ads (Microsoft Ads) & $100 Credit

optimizepress

joeybabbs

Affiliate Marketing Coach
Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATED: 2021

This is a simple up to date guide for people who want to learn quickly how build profitable campaigns using Pay Per Click marketing on Bing Ads now known as Microsoft Ads. The example I will use below actually generated profits.

Bing Ads is the traffic source. Currently they offer PPC search traffic and Native Audience ads. So for example, For search if anyone goes to Bing.com (or one of their search partners) and searches for a keyword an ad will show up based on what keywords you bid on.

You can literally start campaigns today for less than $50 in total expenditures and do a good test on a small number of keywords (like 20 -30 at a time). The more keywords you try to test the more likely the $50 will be spread too thin. If you want to do a bigger test then you need more money.

These steps can be completed for any offer and any sales funnel approach.

Phase 1 - Initial Preparation

A Bing Ads account. Get $100 FREE Below

https://dayjobhacks.com/bing

The free $100 comes after $25 deposit and may be available in most countries.

OFFERS:

You will be limited to certain offers when using search traffic.

First of all you need to understand that Bing Ads only allow certain types of offers to be promoted using their traffic. (No Gambling, Adult or illegal stuffetc.) Also you need to consider that your affiliate network will only allow you to run certain offers on Search Traffic.

Read ad guidelines for better understanding of what is and is not allowed. You might also benefit from their information and case studies.

Next you need to search your affiliate network and find offers that allow SEARCH as a traffic source. Once you have gone through these two steps you will be left with a list of potential offers to promote on Bing.

CPA offers on Bing can work really well especially lead generation offers or offers that don't require a hard sell.

There are many great keywords on Bing that produce a ton of traffic for cheap.

"Blood pressure" is one of a thousand examples.

Quality score is important with Bing ads so make sure your best keywords are spread throughout your landing page and your ads.

For those familiar with HTML then you can also place the KWs inside the alt tags for added benefits in raising your quality score.

One offer that can be ran on Bing is our own Powerhouse Affiliate course which is also available for affiliates to run at 50% commission Monthly recurring. I would recommend you collect leads first and do not direct link to powerhouse affiliate or you will get banned.

The idea would be to use your own squeeze page and offer a freebie then use this course as a "tripwire" before promoting the bigger ticket affiliate offers.

So we created a squeeze page which we ran on Bing, and once the users entered their email for a free report we sent them to a tripwire page which promoted the powerhouse affiliate training and forum. We actually saw some fantastic results.

Since this offer accepts all countries and desktop and mobile, it is very easy to find cheap traffic.

The rate of people buying joining :powerhouse Affiliate once they entered their email is very high if you target specific keywords that are related to list building, cpa marketing, affiliate training or making money online with paid traffic.

The only issue is the conversion may not happen instantly, because when giving away a freebie ebook some people are at first just looking for something free. So if they didn't convert instantly on the tripwire page, then they may convert later after reading the free ebook.

Therefore it is best to test over 2 weeks or so for this type of funnel.

The best part about campaigns like this though, is that you can run global which means you can get as low as 5 cent clicks.

Other offers that work well on Bing are Lead gen, ecom offers, Insurance, loans, mortgage, dating, Branded niches, etc.

Landing Page

In this case we used a squeeze page and offered people a freebie about email marketing. Then it went to the landing page or "one time offer page" which then promoted the ebook course.

oto.PNG

Important Bing Ad Settings

Time zone

Match the time zone on Bing to that of your tracking server settings so that the stats times match when you go to review your 3rd party tracker stats later.

Campaign Budget

Set this to whatever your budget is. $25 daily at least is recommended, and move up to maximum budget once it is working. In Daily Budget Options, Accelerated will blow your budget as fast as it can and often once you are optimized it is best to set this to accelerated. This means your ads will deliver as fast as they can as long as there are people searching and won't be spread throughout the day.

Country

Always set the country to the appropriate country that is allowed for the offer. So our offer we are running allows all countries. If we wanted to get really technical we would set up a campaign for

each country. By doing this you will be able to drastically reduce click costs and you will know which countries are getting the best click costs and conversion rates.

Advanced Location Options

Make sure to choose "people in your targeted location"

Keywords

Just add a couple KWs to the box so you can get the campaign set up. We'll talk more about adding more KWs in a bit.

Distribution

Set this to search only not native, but never both in the same campaign since it is tough to track and bad for budgeting. Also I don't recommend including search partners

Bidding

Most of the time I usually start higher if it is a campaign I am not sure about. ($.50-$.75 to start) unless it is in non tier 1 countries then I would bid lower.

I Feel it's better to start your bids higher and slowly lower them
Why you ask?

Well it is suggested by bing themselves that your quality score is partially based on your ad click thru rate so if you want to get a lot of impressions and clicks you need to be high up on the page. If you are too low on the page you will get high impressions but low clicks.

Ad position in Bing is very important.

Devices

Unless the offer is optimized for mobile (which this one is) then always uncheck the boxes for tablets
or lower the bid percentage. But you can only do this after the campaign has been created. Also I run mobile and desktop in seperate campaigns.

Text Ads

When initially setting up the campaign you need to enter text and no dynamic text until after you save the campaign. (This is SO annoying)

So for the Ad do this first:

Build a Massive List in 30 Days!

Learn a Simple Trick to Gather Millions of Leads! Get it Free Here.

Once you submit it and save it - go in and add the proper dynamic variables to make this ad change for every keyword, and also change the destination URL to include your tracking link with the dynamic KW variables.

Here is what the destination url looks like:

Destination: http://trackingdomain.com?kw={keyword}

Adding More KWs

There are many angles that this can be promoted with. Therefore it is key to set up adgroups so you can separate the keywords and ads.

So in this example we are targeting "email marketing" adgroup.

So we would start with 50 at most keywords for the adgroup and
test them before deleting and adding more. Everyone is different. You can add several thousand if you want but your budget will be spread out too thin to get any solid data. You need to weigh this into the equation.

The thing with global campaigns though is you can definitely get cheaper clicks by targeting other countries. If you find one country converting really well then seperate it into it's own campaign.

When you add more variables to test you need to increase your budget too.

Examine Initial Launch Results

Once you launch the campaign you will find a ton of keywords that get no clicks and some that get a lot of clicks with no conversions. It is important to get enough data before deleting any KWs.

There are many variables you need to consider before just deleting a KW.

No Impressions

As Bing staff suggest, it is good to weed out KWs with no impressions but first you need to figure out why it gets no impressions. If you are getting no impressions then it could be due to the landing page quality score, the amount of your bid, or it gets no searches. If the quality score is above 5 then the first thing you may need to raise bid. If this does not work you need to consider deleting it.

If you leave these KWs in your campaign they only serve to hurt you since it is factored into the budget equation that Bing uses to determine your amount of impressions for the day.

Lots of Impressions No Clicks

This is why testing ads is important. In Bing you can easily see the ad's click thru rate (CTR) and this will tell you which ad is more appealing to searchers. It is important to make sure your ads match what the searcher wants.

Bing will reward you with more impressions and cheaper clicks if you have a good CTR on your ads. Your ad may also be in a bad position so you will not get any clicks. It may be worth it to raise your bids to improve CTR. Change the wordings to test variations. Sometimes this is all it takes to improve CTR.

Lots of Clicks No Conversions

This means you need to examine what happens after they click on your ad and ask yourself a few questions:

Are You Direct Linking or Using a Landing Page?
Are they clicking through to the offer from your landing page at a decent rate?

If so then maybe the offer does not match your landing page and ad. If not then your landing page needs to get a higher click thru rate or if you are direct linking perhaps you need to try a pre-sell landing page! You need to try different headings, wordings, images, colors, link positions etc. and keep testing.

Is there consistency in what the ad offers, what you say on the landing page, or what the offer actually is?

If everything is consistent then maybe the keyword is a dud. If it is not consistent, then you need to test a new landing page and try to make it more consistent with the offer page.

Would this Keyword do better in its own individual targeted campaign?

Here is where many marketers make the mistake of giving up too soon on a keyword. If you see that in your original campaign there is a KW getting a lot of volume but no conversions sometimes it is worth it to make a separate targeted campaign for that keyword only.

You can even test different offers and try to get in the mind of the searcher and give them exactly what they want when they search that KW. This is much better than just deleting these keywords from your campaign.

Keep a file of all the keywords you find that get high volume and sometimes refer to it for campaign ideas.

Lots of Click, Lots of Conversions

Obviously this is what we want.

When this happens sometimes the best thing is to just ride it out for a bit, raise your budget to as much as you can afford and bank as much money as you can.

Delete all the non performing KWs from the campaign and leave it as profitable with maxed out budget. Then start a completely new campaign for testing another round of KWs a different country, and maybe a different offer landing page.

This is sometimes the best way to go since Bing is very unpredictable in how they divide up your daily impressions.

Scaling

Once you find some profitable keywords then examine them and think about why they are profitable. Then use KW tools to find more variations and similar KWs. Separate this kw into its own cluster of similar keywords. Set up the clusters of keywords into their own ad groups.

Everyone is different in how they organize their campaigns. Many will agree it is easier to set up ad groups within each campaign for each keyword cluster.

Optimization

Separate optimization tasks into 5 key areas of analysis.

1. Keywords

2. Ads

3. Landing page/Squeeze Page/ Tripwire Page

4. Offer

5. Country

Get at least $25 - $100 worth of data before starting to optimize any of the areas above. The biggest mistake people make in PPC is quitting too soon on a KW or not knowing when to quit on a keyword, or not knowing which area of analysis is causing the campaign to be unprofitable.

Keywords Analysis

The success of a PPC campaign is largely based on keywords, as it is the keywords that draw in the traffic. Most Internet users enter a search string to find some information.

If the way you present your offer does not match with the intentions of the searcher, then the whole exercise is a waste of money.

If you are going to buy keywords, buy only those that are relevant to your offer and landing page. You have to imagine what would be the keywords that the target audience is likely to use.

Make use of the keyword tools to understand which keywords are most used and incorporate them in your campaign and test. You may not get all the audience, but it would be more than enough if you are able to capture the attention of most of them. Unless you get the traffic, you are not going tomake money in your business.
If you get volume try a different approach with it including a custom ad, landing page and approach.

Ads Analysis

Always swap out the worst ad and test a new one. In Bing click thru rate is a huge factor in click costs and ads served. Aim for a click thru rate of 2% or above.

Landing Page

Constantly split test landing pages if you use them. This page is only to confirm to the searcher that what they are about to get is exactly what they have been looking for.

Test all linking scenarios and settle with one that makes the most profit. If your goal is long term profit for a campaign then collect leads first then send them through a sales funnel.

Scaling

If you have a PPC campaign that is working well examine the best KWs and then start by clustering
them into separate ad groups. Inside the ad group use all similar KWs and bid on all match types. This will increase traffic. You may even want to raise the bid. Careful with Broad match type tho because it may get you very poor results and unrelated traffic.

Be sure to click the "dimensions" tab to see if there are any KWs that are working well that you may not have bid on exactly. The search terms are what the user entered into the search box exactly to see your ad. Often times this is not the actual KW you bid on. You will find goldmine KWs in hear but you will also find KWs you need to block as negatives. As you can see below some KWs you will find are not related to the offer and this could be due to having too many broad match keywords.

Capture.PNG

When to Stop the Campaign

Expect at first that your campaigns will be unprofitable.

Chances are it will take a lot of practice and testing to find something that will work for you. Knowing when to stop a campaign can be very difficult. It is always a tough decision.

Make sure you have thoroughly tested all 5 parts of the campaign to make sure you have not missed anything (Ads, Keywords, Landing Page, Offer, Traffic Source/country).

Sometimes you just know that an offer won't work and it is a gut instinct telling you to move on. Other times you get lucky and campaigns are profitable on day one.

Here are a few things that might help you make a decision:

· Make sure your decision is based on enough data.
· Make sure you test the campaign on all days and times and examine if there is a good time to run it.
· If all the ads, KWs, landing page, and offer are consistent and you have tested each variable with enough data and time, and you are still losing money it may be time to try a new campaign or a new traffic source.
· If none of the above work you might want to try a new campaign.

Dont give up after failing a PPC campaign. It can be tough finding profitable campaigns but there is still a ton of money to be made and it will always be a viable traffic source for Affiliates. You can get a
lot of volume on Bing alone so dont underestimate it.

Last edited:
A

angela7225

joeybabbs , I used the method you outlined above and set a worldwide campaign for email submit, but what i am making is negligible compared to what i am spending. What should i change? Im getting clicks at about $0.12-0.15, which i think is rather high. What say you.

joeybabbs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I think the first thing you should do is find out what country is costing you more than what you want to spend. Most of the time I would separate each country into its own campaign.

the next thing you need to understand is that it's going to cost you some money to gather the data so that you know which keywords are converting which ads are converting and which landing pages are converting.

The only way you can get that data is if you are using your own tracking system to track it for example I use Thrive tracker but many other systems are available that might be cheaper.

if you have the data you can make decisions that can turn your campaign into a profitable one. So gather some data and then if you have it let me know and we can discuss later how you can use that data to make it profitable. One of the best ways to do this is through a follow along campaign inside our follow along campaigns section.

joeybabbs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow this was very insightful thanks @joeybabbs !

So above are you saying before trying to optimize we should spend $25-100 for each keyword...?
Hey no not per keyword. I usually only spend twice the CPA of the offer on a keyword before pausing it. This is usually after I know the funnel is converting.

So If I get $20 per converisons and I spent $40 I would pause it. But this is a very rough way to estaimte because many other things could be a factor, like maybe the other components like landing page, ads, and offer.

syneoh

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here just joined the Free Program wanting to find out on the Powerhouse Affiliate.
Prior to joining Powerhouse Affiliate, I did have a Microsoft/Bing Ads account, but unfortunately my account was being suspended out of nowhere without ever finding out what's the reason behind it as I only advertise for my first ever campaign to try out.

And, I know Microsoft Ads is being used for Powerhouse Affiliate program....with that said, how will it affect me if I'm no longer able to use Microsoft/Bing Ads anymore? Or can I still register with a new account with Microsoft/Bing ads?

Please advise.
So, I can know what to expect if I were to sign up for the Premium Membership program here. Much appreciate, thanks!

joeybabbs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here just joined the Free Program wanting to find out on the Powerhouse Affiliate.
Prior to joining Powerhouse Affiliate, I did have a Microsoft/Bing Ads account, but unfortunately my account was being suspended out of nowhere without ever finding out what's the reason behind it as I only advertise for my first ever campaign to try out.

And, I know Microsoft Ads is being used for Powerhouse Affiliate program....with that said, how will it affect me if I'm no longer able to use Microsoft/Bing Ads anymore? Or can I still register with a new account with Microsoft/Bing ads?

Please advise.
So, I can know what to expect if I were to sign up for the Premium Membership program here. Much appreciate, thanks!
Bing is only one of the traffic sources we have in our trainings and case studies. We talk native social, other search etc as well. With that said yes you can likely create a new bing ads account. But you will need new credit card, preferably in your wife or girlfriend/boyfriend other family members name... :)

Newest Resources

Sponsors

pdlprofit

Twitter