• Welcome to the most helpful Affiliate Marketing Forum. Join us! CLICK HERE for our free membership. You can upgrade to premium anytime to access more Premium training, case studies, & marketing resources.
  • 📊 Latest Follow Along - $10,000 a Month Website Case Study 💡 Join the Discussion

Google helpful content update

optimizepress

abdulla

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an important question, I purchased a website for $5,600 and its traffic went down after the Google helpful content update. The owner said the traffic went down because google began determining a website's relevance based on the overall amount of the topic of a niche the website has covered since the update. The website is https://protroubleshooting.com/ was this a good purchase, and would I be able to get back the traffic it used to get?

Thank you in advance.

stuart

Premium Member
Reaction score
looking at ahrefs, it seems it really started to fall off from the July update (product review update):

In August it was ranking for 690 keywords compared to just 22 today (according to ahrefs).

I've had a random look through a few articles, and some of them read very (very) much like spun content for example sentences like:

"If you are too impatient to read the brief, we would recommend you to get to the last of the essay and understand the chart first."

So I am going to guess that if that holds across the whole site, that would be a major contributing factor.

That being said, you can always rewrite these articles (hey you could fleece chatGPT to write them before it melts LOL)

I'd definitely consider creating content silos around the various topics you have.

For example in your fitness section, you have a few posts about treadmills. Consider creating a new sub category of treadmills and add some new content that is purely informational - and then follow this process across the site.

If it were me, I would focus on trying to build topical authority around the various sub topics and rewrite the articles.

It will be a long process to be sure, but it might see it recover.

Just take one 'category' and build out some new content, rewrite the existing content in that category and see if it starts to rank again (make sure it is all interlinked with the new content too, internal linking counts for a lot more than you'd think).

If it does, then rinse and repeat across the whole site :)

(ps I run a team looking after a large website in my day job, so I know more about SEO than I do affiliate/CPA :D working on changing that though!)

Cheers Stu

1672864555241.png

abdulla

Reaction score
Thank you, Your response will help me a lot to grow this site, I was in a paid weekly coaching call group and I didn't even get this good of a response the guy in the group did not even give me a detailed response, and he tried to upsell me for $1,300.

abdulla

Reaction score
My website probably has a bad reputation with Google. Do you know how long it would take after I rewrite my articles and add new ones for Google to rank my articles again?

stuart

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Your response will help me a lot to grow this site, I was in a paid weekly coaching call group and I didn't even get this good of a response the guy in the group did not even give me a detailed response, and he tried to upsell me for $1,300.
You are very welcome - we're all here to help each other learn and grow :)

In terms of how long it would take to gain ranking back, it is really hard to say (for any site, not just yours).

One thing you should try and establish as a matter of urgency is if you 'just lost ranking' OR if you have actually been subject to a manual penalty by google.

You can find this out in your google search console.

In terms of what I can see in Google you have 177 pages in the index (screenshot below)

But search console will give you a lot more info.

Just focus on informational articles (on top of rewriting existing content).

Try and make sure that you interlink them all AND try and add one external (non affiliate) link to a relevant helpful site per page.

The July update was about hitting people with affiliate sites (where ALL they had was affiliate content) - so you job is to persuade Google that your site is actually there for reasons other than affiliate links :)

Cheers Stu

1672907065058.png

Newest Resources

Sponsors

pdlprofit

Twitter